Saturday, November 12, 2005

Liljorna och Jamie Oliver
OK, so the whole Lilly thing was not quite as funny as it appeared on Thursday afternoon. It turned out that my flatmate was extremely upset, which made me feel very sorry for her and made me also very upset. What could I do but say sorry, it was stupid and wrong of me to throw away your flowers? But that was the evening I could least use something like this; for it ruined any chance I could work on that bloody paper I had due friday. Eventually I had to set myself over it and worked and worked until 2:30 and then I still wasn't satisfied and about 1500 words short. So I set my alarm at 6:30. The paper had to be handed in at noon Friday and when I did, I still thought it was shit. Lesson learned: don't throw away other people's birthday flowers and start essays earlier. So this morning I started reading for next paper; really, both lessons have hit home hard..

But for something completely different: this afternoon two of my flatmates and I went out to Borough Market, the best market in London for food. We had a Jamie Oliver cookbook and we wanted to make this great 'spring chicken'-with-grapes recipe. Those are very young chickens by the way, so we all had a whole chicken each! Both the dinner (which I have just 'achter de kiezen') and that market were absolutely fabulous and I'll definitely come back there, if only to buy mexican foodstuffs like: all sorts of dried chillis and masa harina (tortilla flour) and pozole (type of dried maize). Oh! And they also had: boerenkool! Which is known as 'curly kale' around here, apperrently; but as it hasn't frozen yet it can't be any good.

Missed tradition of Yesterday: Armistice Day. Apparently everyone holds two minutes silence at 11am at the 11th of the 11th, but as I was stressing out over my paper (which I was just about to print then) and I didn't know... Found out about it at 11:20.

Missed tradition of Today: the Lord Mayor of London Day. A large parade for the (powerless) Lord Mayor of London (so that is not Red Ken). Saw some dressed-up soldiers though, and the bus wouldn't go further than Holborn (Ho'bun as Anna knows), which is still a long way from the market, which was under London Bridge. Also we heard the fireworks. But, this did allow us to learn of what I would declare to be the London street name of the year: Cheapside Poultry !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home