Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Meditation
Tonight I first went to have some italian coffee at the place of one of my fellow students who also lives in these halls and afterwards I went for a walk. One of my old-fashioned wanderings, at random through the residential areas that surround us (remember: this is central london we're talking about, and still, there's no irony involved here). I walk the empty streets and I clear my head, just forget about courses, anthropology, passports, bank accounts and all the other shit. And after I wandered into a hidden little square where really I wasn't supposed to go, something struck me: there was silence here, no, not silence: there was a sound, the sound of the wind in the trees, rustling. I stood still and I don't think I moved for a couple of minutes looking up at these two trees in the little square. All of a sudden, I felt I would almost have cried if I had stayed still any longer, feelings of joy and sadness went through me. Joy that I found this little place at this beautiful moment, when the eternal sound of traffic was far away and overwhelmed by the sound of rustling trees; nature wins over culture eventually. Sadness as I was reminded of the forrest of Amelisweerd, where I loved to walk and wander and that all of a sudden seemed so far away. Anything qualifying as not-city seemed so far away in this metropolis, you wonder whether it ever ends... Thankfully, to add the my melodramatic feelings it started raining.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna P.H. Geurts said...

Ah: how recognisable. But bear this in mind: in a few weeks you will be able to Sound-of-Music-like run over the Devonshire hills, climb any mountain, and splash around in forest puddles. Just a few more weeks...

2/11/05 12:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home