Sunday, November 06, 2005

Hail reader, onverdroten this account of life, the universe and everything (focused on Central London) continues. I wouldn't know what would interest you, but there is a lot in store, although I guess we'll have the summary tonight.

What I did not do.
For instance it may interest you to know that I did not get to see Karl Marx's tomb this pouring wet Sunday as High Gate Cemetery charges an entrance fee I wasn't feeling like. Although while overthere I discovered there is quite a nice view over the city from Hampstead Heath. All the while it poured rain.

I was also going to see "Howl's Moving Castle", a Japanese animated movie by Miyazaki tonight, but that unfortunately went wrong as well; for which I can partly blame my mobile-less existence, which - sorry Anna - I guess will be under revision soon. The fact was that I was going to meet a girl from my programme at the Odeon at Leicester Square, so I arrive in time (actually slightly early, as befitting), but it appears there's quite a crowd and part of the square is fenced-off because today's the bloddy World Premiere of "Harry Potter And The Fire Goblet" or something like that. I spotted surprisingly few kids in silly costumes, I guess they had all already left as apparently everyone invited was inside watching the movie. Well, I assure you it is quite hard to find someone under such circumstances and one wonders how people managed in pre-mobile days, as it transpires that people nowadays can't.

Guy Fawkes
OK, now I have almost forgotten to introduce you to Guy Fawkes Day. My 5th of November started off by refusing to leave my bed for any significant amount of time until 15:30; I finished my Terry Pratchett book now: thank you Lani! By 16:00 we (being myself and two of my flatmates) had decided to leave for Black Heath Park, one of the last remaining firework places of significance in London that did not charge you an entrance fee. As, however, this was in the South east of London it took us a well over an hour to get to the Park (having picked up one of my flatmates' friend, a native to the area. Fireworks were pretty nice and lasted for almost half an hour, for the rest: items no. 2, 3 & 7 of this report apply. No. 8 as well, with the modification that our masses all wanted to enter the train station. This we circumvented by getting lost in the sub-urbs of London looking for the DLR station Lewisham, where we had got off. We got lost because the local High Street that we had past on the way to the park was now completely filled with people and the only way to pass would be to walk over the heads, which doesn't seem all that unrealistic looking back at it.. Points 4 & 5 don't apply for the rather glaringly untraditional lack of bonfire, but as there was no Mayor of Greenwich to boo at, nobody seemed to mention anything, I guess it was the price we paid. Point 9 doesn't apply either, as my flat- and country-mate P. took some nice fireworky pictures on his phone that I may or may not be able to post as we first need a computer able to establish a bluetooth connection ... (The weblog I got this report from, by the way, belongs to someone I never met and don't know, but I have been reading it for years now. I think it is a pretty nice weblog (obviously so because of similar politics, a.o.), so explore it when you're bored!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home