Thursday, November 03, 2005

Bah.
I was lost in the platonic cave today; surrounded by people, who apparently had seen the light of a realm of ideas that said absolutely nothing to me. Marxist Metaphysics, I should be interested: power relations and ideologies were on the programme today. But please, please PLEASE leave the bloody miereneukerij (ant-fuckery, sic) and haarkloverij (hair splitting) on these issues between Althusser, Lacan, Žižek, Strathern, Dumont and all the others OUT, especially when I am tired. Thank you.

Good Music.
On a different note, I am terribly and hopelessly in love with this CD now. You should all travel to Sweden and buy it. I guess liking music is always personal, but this music just fucks with my head in a very special kind of way; some of these songs are so compelling I have to stop everything else that I am doing and I can only listen, listen and forget everything around me, listen and, this sounds almost religious, become one with the music. En timme, en minut // Här står tiden stilla // Jag är bara ljud (One hour, one minute // time stands still here // I am only sound). That song is from another album, but it catches my idea of listening to Kent very neatly. I will share one song (click it and download the mp-3! Oh! wonders of contemporary technology!) with you, one that I particularly like. It is called Rosor & Palmblad (Roses and Palm leaf) and don't ask me what it is about as I haven't found a translation yet, although the swedish lyrics are here. It is melancholic and maybe at some point bombastic if you approach it from the negative side, but just sit back, close your eyes, and let yourself be led by the rythm, which is like a wave or a brook; it all flows very organically, then one instrument leads and then another, but not your average rock instruments. But, ah, what am I saying? I stop, before this becomes yet another of
those commentaries on music that are written with an abundance of tedious paraphrase and misguided abstractions - as if music could be the object of linguistic discourse, when its peculiar quality is to express what can be said no other way. (Claude Lévi-Strauss - The Raw and the Cooked 1986:31)
Which reminds me: according to this same man only Mathematics, Music and Anthropology are the sciences that are worth persuing. So I am happy; I made the right choice and some of the people reading this will be too (I mention F, who took up at least two of these, and A. too if we count Sociology as Anthropology). And I, for now, shall forget about Marxist Metaphysics.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna P.H. Geurts said...

A clarification: I do NOT study sociology! My fellow students for the largest part are sociologists, but the course is a MUSIC sociology coure, which turns out to be more about cultural theory, anthropology (as you said), music philosophy or whatever... but in the end the music component thank god distinguishes it 'hemelsbreed' from sociology.

4/11/05 12:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home