Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Yes! Today's Anthropological Methods day, and guess what's on the programme? Correct, the field diary, amongst others, I hope I will finally get some professional guidance on what a field diary is suppossed to be. I hope it'll still make an interesting read afterwards, and oh, what does it mattter? The only ones who will read this will be my professors ..

I was going to try and focus this diary on the group of Anthropology students who accompany me on this academic voyage, and maybe I should give somewhat of an introduction into their life as I so far observed it. It will not seem too exciting, as I am only starting to perceive the underlying networks, but here goes anyways. The main loci of this community are the following: the most important, in one way, is the classroom when classes are taught that all attend ("duh!" I hear someone in the back, I reply to you: "Shut up! This is Science!"), although some classes are not attended by all on the account of being optional, so these classes are loci of sub-communities (e.g. we might identify a Museology sub-society (which consist of three, myself included)), the third locus is the Library, esp. the DMS Watsons Science Library's Anthropology Department, which is a relatively loose locus of what we might classify as, broadly, the educational locus of the Anthropolgist's Community. The library being loose on account of it being a less structured, but no less important part of the community, in fact, the library is where the Educational locus and the Social locus meet. The social locus consisting of the following locations: the Post-graduate Common Room, the Refectory & Senate House restaurants and several others, places like pubs etc. However, the less structured geography of the social locus reflects its equally less structured social network, as socially the very recently created group (or network) "M.Sc Students in Anthropology" is already dividing itself in smaller sub-groups.

OH. MY. GOD. (this irony, I am not American, remember?) How am I ever going to make this bearable for anyone, even my professors, to read?

Yes, whoever said that Anthropology is a Humanities subject? I'm getting a M.Sc. here, id est: Magister Scientium, and the debate, which started some 50-60 years ago on whether Anthropology could be anything else than a Natural Science (like a humanities subject) is not quite over yet.. Well, at least not for the Dead White Men I am having to read these days, and that reflects in this graphic example of anthropological prose. I really need to sort out my terminology...

Tonight: hopefully an example of the Anthropologist's society at work! The social locus I forgot to mention here - but which is indeed very important - will be activated: the Weekly Research Seminar!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home