Saturday, October 29, 2005

What I learned today in the British Museum.
After cooking myself a full English breakfast (I had some sausages to finish) at noon I walked to the BM together with my flat- and country mate P. and there I spent a nice and educational non-Uni-related day learning the following:

  1. Britain in the 4th Century AD was attacked from the east by the Angles and Saxons and from the north by the Picts (from Scotland). Hence Britain = England. (hè???)
  2. Mayan art is still the most fantastic in the world and goes BEEEEPPP when approached too close.
  3. When the Ancients ship-buried their king at Sutton Hoo, the ship apparently crash-landed in the hole they had dug for it resulting in an awkwardly positioned ship and the loss of the regal corps. (that last bit may actually be my own imagination, but it is true a skeleton was never found)
  4. The British Museum is much like the 'Shades'-area in Ankh-Morpork: streets have a will on their own and can decide to switch left and right, resulting in severe disorientation.
  5. Celtic jewelry seems a bit heavy, occasionally. I wonder whether they gave those massive copper bracelets to their prisoners to prevent them from doing any harm.
  6. Evil mother-in-laws are not limited to the western imagination: they also feature on Haida 'totem'-poles. And so do top-hatted chiefs.
And after I returned to the safety of my home I learned some more things:
  1. Hotplates can be very hot.
  2. Fingers placed on a very hot hotplate sizzle like sausages in a pan.
  3. Miracle cures exist and derive from France.
Finally a random London link: Derelict London a nasty looking site but with pictures of many places I definitely want to visit now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home