Thursday, March 09, 2006

Spring
"Spring is in the air," Winston Churchill once famously proclaimed. Even more famous is the response of the exiled Dutch Prime Minister whose name always escapes me. It is unimportant, this is anecdotal. This PM was of the opinion that Churchill himself should 'spring' (jump) in the air. It was the same man who opened a conversation with "good-bye Mr. Churchill". Churchill later confided these were the briefest conversations he ever had. Anyway. The famous walk in the park of Churchill and who I believe was Gerbrandy must have taken place in St. James' Park in the City of Westminster, on a day like last Sunday. The sun was shining, and after writing some e-mails I decided I should take advantage of the good weather so I packed some reading and walked to St. James's. These are the moments when you become a blase if proud Londoner: all the tourists walk around uncertainly not knowing where Buckingham Palace is, whereas I, native, go straight to my goal: a park bench in the sun. But I am an incomplete native, behind that facade is the same wonder as the tourist's.

Look! Look! There over those buildings! You can see the Big Ben tower! and Westminster Abbey!

I took my camera and secretly shot some photos of these buildings from St. James' Park before assuming the air of "I belong here, I live here" again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lanja said...

Please post the pictures! Post the pictures! Post the pictures!!! Oh, and what IS spotted dick? I mean, how does it taste? Not like a dead lion rotting in the sun, I hope.

10/3/06 10:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home