Saturday, December 24, 2005

Back in the NL
Well, I am back in the Netherlands for two and half a week. And it's odd to say the least. I was here already some two weeks ago for Sinterklaas and that was absolutely fantastic; but now it was almost normal and I didn't feel like leaving London all that much and arriving I seemed to lack enthusiasm. I had had a rather hectic week writing my final paper for Critical Issues in Social Anthropology last week, a week bordered by two weekends with friends visiting.

London Visitors
The weekend before my final week I had Albert visit me, whom had bought tickets for a nice play at the Royal Court Theatre on Saturday: the Alice Trilogy. Rather psychological drama about a woman (Alice) that had nothing really to complain about but a nagging sense of unease. Nothing exciting really happened but it was convincing and good to watch; it was my first visit to a Theatre in London. Furthermore, on our way to Borough Market to buy the ingredients for an excellent sunday meal, we climbed down the quay to walk a while on the Beach of the Thames. Yes. The Thames has a beach that appears at low tide. Yes. The Thames has tides. It's a fantastic place to find random stuff (as anyone who ever visited the Tate Modern knows). At some point we looked down at our feet not to find the shells or pieces of wood that they had seemed from a distance but a whole load of animal bones: thigh bones, jaws, teeth, ribs etc (at least, we hope they were).

Then, after my week of hard-working came Anna and Olivier. It was Anna's second visit, but Olivier's first, so we went to the British Museum, a.o. Rather unfortunately I was rather tired, but it was really good to be among friends again, including my Dutch flatmate there were now four of us in the Kitchen. Maybe that's why the move back to the Netherlands was so surprisingly boring! I had been under the Dutch for well over a week already!

Back at UCU
First thing I did upon returning to these Low Lands was to get over to Utrecht, to see my old Campus again, which is my real old home. As expected, I saw a lot of old friends again, which was absolutely fantastic. I had a four-hour Lunch with my former Tutor and some graduates and Rich came by for some time too. The four hours were mainly achieved because of old-fashioned gezelligheid, not the amounts of food! (although the food was excellent too: home-made quiche and salad) Afterwards, I had tea with Bart, whom I bumped into, and dinner at Maja's with Albert, Ines and Judith, after which I had tea with Annemarie whom I hadn't seen in ages. Then I went over to my Grandmother's where I spend the night, as per arrangement. Next day I spent mainly at Richard's where I helped clean the place a bit too and I had a lunch in the Dining Hall that I did not miss, except maybe the social athmosphere of that place. To complete my list (no I don't care what you think reader, I am chronicling this for myself as well) : after this I had coffee with Albert at Oudaen in the city centre (on my way bumping into Barbara) and then I went over to see Brina and Floris. Finally, I had dinner with Brina, Joram, Katja and her new boy-friend Tijmen (who's of my year).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home